Perth label Koi Girl transforms beautiful fabric from authentic vintage kimono and obi into stunning, one-of-a-kind handbags, accessories and shoes.
Focused on sustainability with style and ethical fashion, Koi Girl's upcycled designs retain the beauty of their original form while creating reimagined contemporary collections.
Koi Girl collections include handbags, clutches, purses and versatile scarves, which can be worn as head scarves, neck scarves or like a truly reimagined obi, as a waist sash.
Upcycled. Ethical. Handcrafted.
If you want the real deal in its original form, Koi Girl also sells vintage Japanese clothing, including Kimono and Haori, also sourced from Japan.
If you love Japanese art, vintage fabric, beautiful brocade, vibrant colours and geometric patterns, you'll love Koi Girl.
Hand-selected, hand-made. Sourced globally. Made locally.
While all fabrics are hand-selected by local designer Tanya Stewart from Japan, they are proudly handmade in Perth, WA. *Koi Girl's shoe collection is ethically handmade overseas.
Each piece has a story to tell
Koi Girl is as much about reinvention as it is retelling. Because Japanese culture is rich with symbolism, behind each piece of fabric is a meaningful story. By repurposing these beautiful fabrics, Koi Girl owner and designer Tanya Stewart is not only bringing new life to the garments, but re-telling their story - in a new way. The products come to life - and when a customer chooses a product because something in the pattern or fabric resonates with them, a new story is born.
Express your individuality - without being ostentatious - with Koi Girl's stunning, one-of-a-kind pieces.
While each Koi Girl bag or accessory is unique, if you have an idea of your own, Koi Girl offers a custom design service. Email us if you want to co-create with us.
Quality and authenticity.
Because the fabric is sourced from authentic vintage kimono or obi, every Koi Girl product is made of high-quality silk, wool and cottons. But for the same reason - your product is made from vintage material - we recommend how to take care of your product in these following steps:
-Please get professionally cleaned.
-If you would like to get a protective treatment done, please get it done professionally.
-store out of direct sunlight and bright lights, this can damage the colours on your Koi Girl handbag or accessory.
Koi Girl has featured in:
- Kaviar Magazine – Spring/Summer 2017
- Junkies Magazine (including front cover feature) – Issue 7, 2016
- Weekend Australian Newspaper – September 2013
- Peppermint Magazine – 2013
- Tickle the imagination Magazine (including back cover feature) – 2013
- WA Born (Fashion Event) – 2016
Koi Girl can be found in:
- The Artisan Store – 81 High Street Fremantle, Western Australia
- Collab – The Fremantle Markets, Henderson Street Fremantle, Western Australia
- Method Clothing – Beaufort Street Mount Lawley, Western Australia
- The Tasty Pear – Guildford Road Bassendean, Western Australia
- Mosaic Recycling Boutique – Old Perth Road Bassendean, Western Australia
- Incube.8r Gallery – 321 Smith Street Fitzroy, Victoria
- Ukiyo Store – Liverpool Street Hobart, Tasmania
Koi Girl thanks the following people:
Photographer: Bonnie Evans from Evalyn Photography - for numerous Koi Girl shoots and for her patience and talent
From the Kaviar Magazine Issue 4 shoot: